Autism is a challenging scenario for the diagnosed child. As he/she faces difficulties in every step of life. Even the daily chores impose challenges which create hurdles in the path of a normal lifestyle of a child with autism. This not only leads to a communicative disorder. But also creates a mental agony of being different from the others in the vicinity.
Due to the challenges in the communication, your child is unable to make you understand the feelings and requirements. This hinders the treatment process and makes the child even more anxious and agile. The key step that can lead to the positive effect of the treatment process is empathizing. This will not only bestow confidence on him/her to reach the complete potential but you will also feel motivated amidst all the adversities. There are several things every child with autism wants you to know. Being the parents, it is your responsibility to realize these points. Do you know what these are? By the end of this article, you will get to know those points and the best way to cope with it.
Things Every Child With Autism Wishes You to Know
In spite of all the adversities, you must know the following emotions your child feels and turmoil he/she goes through:
- I am a child and autism is just a part of my character– It is important to make the child feel safe and normal even during the adverse scenarios. It is already difficult to survive for a child with autism and the challenges it imposes. Therefore, it is your responsibility to treat him/her as normally as possible with a special care to the emotions, to avoid any hyperactive outbursts.
- I am an intensified thinker– Idioms, puns, tough phrases, and other complicated emotions have no value. Instead, try to implement simple yet empathetic language to communicate with them. This not only makes him/her ease with the ambiance but also helps control the ailment to a certain extent.
- Shower love on me without any condition- The development pattern is different even when the similar treatment is implemented on another autistic child. Your involvement with him/her allows you to accomplish the real-time analysis, on the other hand, makes the child feel secure.
- Please listen how I communicate and understand– The core areas of concern for an autistic child are speech, social interaction, motor skills, imitation, daily chores, language, communication, and playing skills. Since every child is different, the way of communication will also be different. It is important you specifically understand what the need is and act accordingly.
- I prefer and understand the visual stuff– Visual mode of communication and non-verbal technologies help the child get over the communication challenges in due course of time. Hence, instead of emphasizing on the verbal languages, try communicating with pictures and animations.
- Focus on what I can do and not on what I can’t– Symptoms related to autism can’t be generalized and every child needs a specific type of treatment. Never get demoralized by comparing your child with another child, which also brings the morale down.
- Help me cope with the social challenges– Concern, fear, agony, anxiety, and other emotions are very active in your child, which needs proper attention. The child may behave indifferently in a social meet up and prefer being kept secluded. Therefore, it is essential to understand the specific needs and act accordingly.
- I love you, though I never express– The love for the family members and pet is limitless, which, most of the time goes unnoticed. Hence, understand the love which is buried deep within and behave accordingly.
- I prefer being amidst a strict routine, which keeps to going– Often, the child with autism has a higher IQ, which makes them system-oriented. Try maintaining a particular routine every day to make the daily activity easier and enjoyable.
- Understand my behavior as I communicate through it– Emotional outburst, anxiety, anger, and other emotions are the ways to communicate the appropriate feelings of your child. Though behavioral therapy produces wondrous results that help cope with the challenges in a minimum time, it is also important to understand the pattern of emotions.
- I don’t like loud noises and bright lights– Your child may face discomfort due to loud noises, vibrant colors, and bright light, which spikes the agony to a great level. Hence, it is important to avoid the discomforts and embrace the likings.
- I love to make friends– Allow your child to interact with the other children suffering from autism to feel motivated. This makes him/her feel at ease even amidst the adverse scenarios.
- I prefer talking about my superhero– The topic of interest for your child may vary from the rest of the family members. Therefore, allow to intensify the interests which trigger an acute attention in them.
Points to Ponder While Dealing with an Autistic Child
Different autistic children have diversified characteristics with various potentials. This demands proper realization in order to help them recover the challenging phase of life. Therefore, the treatment process can never be generalized. It has been proved that the earlier the treatment is initiated, the sooner the children respond to the treatment process. Social skills, communication, and learning of a child with autism improve drastically, turning the direction of the life towards happiness and success.
Nowadays, along with your child, you can also attend the training sessions in order to manage your kid in a strategic manner, which will intensify the process of treatment. To be precise, apart from counseling the child, the treatment involves acute observation, sincere administration of the strategic steps, intensive care, and comprehensive involvement of all the family members. This not only helps the child feel at ease during the treatment sessions but he/she also responds to the process faster.
In a Nutshell
Treatment of autism is a daunting task if you are unaware of the basic techniques. However, if you get in touch with Consultants for Children, the storehouse of expert BCBA experts, you will get over the challenges seamlessly. We are even hiring the behavior analysts. If you are BCBA certified and want to give your luck a try, you are welcome with open arms.