Come on out to our Brush, CO location July 10th at 11 AM to enjoy our open house to the public!
Our very own Anne Denning, Megan Swanson, and Laren Anderson were invited to speak with Northeast Colorado Talks radio to chat about our services, job opportunities, and centers around the state. Listen below:
Want to learn more about CFCI, Autism, and the ways non-professionals, parents, and friends can help?
Tune into our live radio show, More Than Special, airing Tuesdays at 9 am MST, to listen to an assortment of topics that are less addressed but widely concerning out clients and their families on https://www.voiceamerica.com/show/3965/more-than-special and iTunes
See you there!
Autism Spectrum Disorder or ASD is one of the most gripping spectrums spread across the world, impossible to generalize or cure. However, there are several therapies that have proven its worth to pacify the intense effects of the spectrum. One such therapy is equine therapy, which has produced significant improvement during the treatment of children with autism. Are you unaware of how a child with autism can benefit from equine therapy? Through this article, we will understand the therapy and the benefits offered by it to deplete the intensity of the symptoms.
What is Equine Therapy?
Equine therapy is synonymous with horse therapy that helps establish an emotional and healing bond between the children and animal. Animals have proven to be the best companion of the human through ages and the researchers have identified a way to use this bond to target the primary reasons for concern.
What is the Motto of Equine Therapy?
The dynamic characteristics of a horse help radiate the sensory, motor, and emotional sensation to the children riding it. This gesture helps create an unmatched bond between the animal and children, leading to a healing effect.
In fact, the speech, occupational, and physical therapists use the splendid outcomes of this therapy so the children with autism can enjoy the benefits.
Benefits of Equine Therapy
Children with autism encounter with challenges to connect with their peers and relatives. In fact, they find difficult to communicate the accurate emotions and establish an eye contact. Hence, the horse riding acts as a boon to the kids who do not depict even the simple emotions. Let us have a look at the benefits offered by this therapy:
- Development of cognitive skills– Unlike the other kids, autism restricts the ability of the kids to understand the instructions related to directions. Through this therapy, they get over the challenge adventurously, imposing no pressure on them.
- Creates an emotional bond– Brushing, patting, hugging, talking, and an emotional attachment with the animals helps develop an invisible attachment in the kids. With time, the children develop a successful emotional bond with others, which is otherwise difficult to establish.
- Boosts sensory receptivity- The vestibular sense organs regulate the spatial orientation and balance. Speed and direction change from the horse riding stimulates these organs, producing satisfactory outcomes. This enhances the engagement and motivates them to depict better reactions to their surroundings.
Is Equine Therapy Apt for your Child?
Autism is one such spectrum that demands acute attention and supervision of your children. Therefore, it is important to understand his emotional quotient before loading him with a series of therapies. However, equine therapy is one such therapy that offers your child a happy mind by developing the core skills, which is crucial to dwelling in a society. Also, you may connect with Consultants for Children Inc that has expert BCBA certified professionals to offer your child with the best therapies. Also, it offers you the scope to excel your career as a behavior analyst if you are BCBA certified.
Autism is characterized by social and behavioral challenges, which are not only visible in children but also in adults. You will not find two adults suffering from Autism Spectrum Disorder or ASD, having the same set of symptoms, making the spectrum unpredictable and elaborate. In fact, the cure for this condition is not possible through medicines. However, various therapies have proven its worth with splendid outcomes regardless of the differences in severity of the spectrum. Have you ever come across high-functioning ASD? Through this article, we will understand the treatment of an adult with high-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder.
What is High-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder?
Before considering the treatment of the high-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder, it is important to learn the symptoms of the same. If you consider a group of people suffering from ASD, you will witness diversified kinds of symptoms. Some will show a huge behavioral change while a few will depict only a minor behavioral difference from the other people. In case of the latter, you will feel a hint of difference, without being able to segregate the exact characteristic. This is termed as high-functioning ASD, where the affected person fails to experience any changes in him but the people in the vicinity feel the change.
Signs of High-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder in Adults
Autism is diagnosed during the childhood phase due to the significant difference in the characteristics. In some cases, it goes unnoticed when a toddler. However, you may take a look at a few symptoms that will help identify the spectrum:
- Difficulty in reading social cues.
- Unable to connect to the feelings and emotions of the people.
- Depict every emotion in a flat tone regardless of joy and anguish.
- Feel troubled while participating in any conversation.
- Have a knack to invent own set of words or phrases to describe any incident.
- Avoid direct eye contact during a conversation.
- Fail to connect with people easily and develop a bond of friendship.
- Prefer talking on a particular topic repeatedly.
- Maintain a monotonous tone regardless of home, office, or friend circle.
- Fail to regulate the emotions and respond appropriately.
- Make unexpected noises when quietness is expected.
- Dislike changes.
- Susceptible to meltdowns and outbursts in case the surrounding doesn’t blend in with the thoughts.
Treatment of Adults with High-Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder
Diagnosis of ASD is not possible to define by a set of rules as the symptoms differ from one person to the other. Currently, the clinicians diagnose the spectrum via a set of in-person observations and interactions. Also, the social and personal behavioral patterns are taken into account to execute the in-depth assessment of the spectrum. However, diagnosing autism in adults may impose a challenge on the physicians as well.
Adults are not treated in a similar way the children are. In some of the cases, adults are treated with verbal, cognitive, and applied behavioral therapies. Specific modes of treatments are needed depending on the severity of the symptoms and challenges experienced which includes social isolation, anxiety, job difficulties, and relationship problems. Let us have a look at some of the treatment patterns:
- Getting counseling from an experienced behavior analyst on an ongoing basis.
- Visiting a psychiatrist who is experienced in autism treatment to receive the medical evaluation. This helps to calm down the senses and elevate the effectiveness of the counseling sessions.
- Overcoming the professional challenges by receiving vocal rehabilitation.
- Receiving a consultation from the psychologist or social worker to be a part of the individual therapy or group counseling.
- Taking prescribed medicines for the treatment of the symptoms like behavioral concerns, depression, anxiety, and other challenges.
Goals of the Treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorder in Adults
The treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorder is successful only when the potential to navigate the world in the affected adults improve significantly. In fact, the prime motto of the treatment is to reduce anxiety, manage the emotions effectively, and regulate the functional skills. These outcomes can only be achieved if you succeed in amalgamating with a group that is an expert in the segment and understand the challenges. This helps overcome those without compromising on the personality of the adults. Also, the mode of treatment is chosen on the basis of social activities, health, leisure interests, family, and employment.
Another important aspect of the treatment procedure of the spectrum is to resolve the personal challenges and family issues. This involves neutralizing the negative emotions in the family like the absence of communication as the members fail to understand the emotional restrictions imposed on the adults due to the spectrum. In fact, the adults respond in a better way to the treatment if the members of the family work in conjugation and offer an unmatched support.
Living with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Getting diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder enhances the understandability of the condition, helping to control the emotions and understand the relationship with the world. Also, it allows you to highlight the strengths and work on the weak areas so the hurdles of life can be crossed without any difficulty. Another positive aspect of the diagnosis is the enhanced potential to deal with the diversified challenges. Not only this enables you to set the correct expectation of the behavioral pattern but also allows exploring the treatment patterns that may prove to be highly beneficial.
You will be amazed to learn the different types of treatment patterns embraced by the clinicians and therapists, which have proven its worth. If you are looking forward to finding an institute that counsels the diagnosed adults and works on the tailored methods to overcome the behavioral challenges, you may stop by Consultants for Children, Inc. This is the storehouse of expert behavior analysts who are BCBA certified and have expertise in the field with a strong experience. Also, if you are BCBA certified and want to explore your career as a behavior analyst, you may check on the institute that will offer the best forum to depict your talent and exposure to excel in the career.
Nearly 1% of the entire world’s population is suffering from Autism Spectrum Disorder. Some people have switched to marijuana to handle the impacts of autism on their loved ones and they experienced success.
Despite the large numbers of people with ASD and the rising number of people are looking for marijuana therapy, some researches on the capacity of marijuana conducted for treating autism. So, is marijuana the world’s most effective treatment for autism? Let’s check out.
Is marijuana considered the most effective treatment for autism in the world?
After studies by scientists, different autism treatment options have come into action. But we consider none for curing it precisely. The Cannabis plant has shown positive impacts on people with autism. Hence, different clinical trials are checking if elements in cannabis are usable for treating autism symptoms.
There are nearly 140 cannabinoids. And the most popular cannabinoid is THC or Tetrahydrocannabinol. This is the main psychoactive element found in marijuana. The cannabis is not a magical plant which solves everything. However, on an average, it can decrease the bitterness of a kid with autism by some points. Often nothing happens at all but even whether it is not dramatic, you can see a notable difference.
Scientists have also performed a research also for checking if Cannabis compound can ease some severe symptoms of autism. Let’s have a discussion on some advantages of the cannabis.
How cannabis is beneficial in curing autism
- The most popular properties of marijuana are analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anticonvulsant, and neuroprotective, besides owning.
- Some other neurological disorders like epilepsy sometimes accompany Autism Spectrum Disorder and it could arise from the primary central nervous system condition. Usually, epilepsy occurs in nearly 1/3rd people with autism. The cannabis extracts were effective and safe for treating epilepsy that also annoys nearly 20% of children with autism.
- Researchers researching the impacts of marijuana extracts on epilepsy understood that the elements helped many patients in handling symptoms of autism.
- Treats conditions like dependence, anxiety, and depression.
- In a small diagnosis, medical experts offered many patients the CBD-THC tincture regularly for 3 months enhanced at least one of the major symptoms of autism spectrum disorder, with including repetitive behaviors, language, or social communication.
- Cannabinoids could decrease depressive and anxiety systems by impacting serotonin receptors in your brain.
Various clinical trials are searching if various cannabis compounds are effective enough that medical professionals use them for treating autism. It is vital to keep in mind that autism’s diagnosis occurs in early childhood; hence, you must be cautious in treating a kid with marijuana and you must not forget consulting a medical expert before doing it.
Maximum children with autism show the self-harming behavior. Marijuana will help to reduce and regulate its impacts. Depending on the level of autism of the kid on the autism spectrum, the medical expert will offer the precise amount of marijuana to your kid.
According to studies, it has been proved that there is a powerful genetic element of autism. Autism is also discovered in clusters across the nation. Some states and communities have a higher rate than the remaining country.
Is the rate of autism influenced by the geography?
Clusters are discovered in some geographical locations appear to mean an environmental, local cause. It’s difficult to look at environmental causes because much information is not yet documented. You must ponder energy resources, water quality, and air quality. Ethnicity and income levels are other factors to consider. Some researchers compared the male genital malformations’ rate with the rate of autism with the suggestion that in some areas, environmental toxins were responsible for this malformation because of the high rate.
Researchers found the larger the number of malformations in males, the higher the rates of autism in the location, recommending a correlation between autism analysis and environmental causes. While discussing these correlations, remember that correlations don’t imply causation, especially if you are looking at broader images.
Know how geography influences autism treatment
Different treatment options are there for children with autism. It ranges from medication and behavioral intervention to speech treatment. However, which families opt for seems to rely on where they live. According to a new research, kids living in the northeast have probably attempted different treatment options while children in the south are trying common medications usually.
As per the findings published in the Journal of Disability Policy Studies where families lived was considerably related to treatment utilization. The authors wrote that that is the case even though the area is not the cause which impacts the treatment requirement or symptom proof. For this research, the researchers of the University of Houston and Baylor College of Medicine analyzed the data on over 2600 families of people with autism living in Montreal, Quebec and across the USA.
Every family was inquired whether any kid was suffering or had suffered since 2 years old–school-based or private occupational treatment, school-based or private speech treatment, biomedical therapy like a special diet, intensive behavioral treatment or any other treatment for addressing social expertise. They were inquired regarding any use of psychotropic medicines.
The northeast families possibly have used more biomedical and behavioral therapy, occupational and school speech treatment. The study also discovered that people in the west preferred biomedical approaches and intensive behavioral therapy. By comparisons, Midwest people highly depend on medicines and rarely use behavioral therapies. The Southern people use other approaches more. Simultaneously, families in the Montreal and Southern areas possibly don’t opt for any therapy.
Even within areas, the research discoveries marked that there were different uses of therapies. For instance, Mid-Atlantic families possibly have used biomedical or behavioral interventions more than their New England counterparts, although both regions were the part of the northeastern area for research.
According to the researchers, the flows in therapy usage may need to do with regional distinctions in the prevalence of autism analysis. They said these discoveries associate researchers, schools, service providers, and policymakers.
Autism Spectrum Disorder or ASD is one of the most widespread syndromes which demands intense observation and expertise. Several doctors and researchers have come up with the countless strategies that claim to work for children with autism. Being the parent of a child with autism, do you fail to relate to the acclaimed results of the therapies and personal experience?
Value of Art Therapy in Treating Autism Spectrum Disorder
A particular set of symptoms can’t define autism, as it’s not an ailment. Rather, it is a spectrum with a wide range of behavioral patterns that respond in a diversified manner to the therapies applied. However, the value of art therapy for those on the autism spectrum has proved its potential for a prolonged period. This tickles the creative portion of your child’s brain, fostering the zeal to prove his potential to the world. Through this article, we will understand the value of art therapy to get over the concerns in your child with autism.
Why is Art Therapy Preferred to Treat Autism?
The conventional medicines fail to treat ASD but various therapies tailored as per the potential of your child shows a satisfactory outcome. Autism imposes difficulty in social and verbal communication that singles out your child. However, the intensity of the difficulty varies from a child to another child. Processing the language may pose a severe difficulty to your child but nurturing the deep-rooted zeal to prove the potential is beneficial. Art is a simple form of expression and is not restricted to any specific form of interaction. In fact, this opens the gate to a seamless communication.
Necessity of Art Therapy in Boosting the Communication Power
Often, your child with communication restriction is misunderstood and designated as a non-performer in art sessions. Art therapists explore the capabilities of your child in personal sessions. This unique therapy is case specific and produces a remarkable outcome in developing a wide range of skills in your child, which is far more effective than verbal communication.
Are the Art Classes Similar to Art Therapies?
Art therapy may seem similar to the concept of art classes. To your disappointment, both are not the same and have different outlooks. The art therapy is the perfect tool, helping your child realize his emotions while the art classes allow him to sharpen the artistic skills to achieve specific goals. Though both the forms may help your child with autism but don’t follow the similar pattern of treatment.
Art Therapy & Communication Skills
Since perfect communication skills are difficult to achieve in Autism Spectrum Disorder, it is important to approach the diversified symptoms. Art therapy has proven its potential as a natural fit for autism for countless reasons. You must have noticed that due to the difficulty to communicate with the loved ones, your child prefers shouting and believes it to be the best mode of communication. To your amazement, your child is one of the best visual thinkers you will ever come across, which remains veiled due to the lack of expression. Since he succeeds in feeling and visualizing the ideas in his head, it is important to let loose the constrictions to realize his true potential. Not only this reduces the frequent outbursts but also relieves his soul from the burden of overloaded visions.
Is it Necessary to Work on Social Communication Skills?
Your child with autism lacks proper social communication skills along with several other restrictions. This is one of the most important areas to work on as it fetches significant outcomes without highlighting the effort invested. A few of the difficulties are interpreting facial expressions, the tone of voice, idioms, complicated sense of language, and others. As a result, he fails to mix well with the other children of the same age group. To cope with the intimidating and frustrating scenario, it is important to let loose the bindings in association with the art therapists, who ensure to extract the negative emotions and fill in with a positive zeal. In fact, art has proven to be the best facilitator in forming a strong bond with friends and associates. This promotes the characteristics of turn-taking, cooperation, understanding the differences, realizing the necessary social skills, and others. Gradually, your child learns to work in a team which boosts the rate of improvement as it induces the positivity of teamwork, a sense of acceptance and cooperation.
Understanding the Importance of Art Therapy for Those on the Autism Spectrum
You must have seen the fluctuating performance of the artists due to the mood swings and dynamic state of mind. The interconnection between art and emotional range is proven. Hence, you must not ignore the importance of the same and take assistance from the art therapy to help your child with autism get over the concerns. The value of art therapy for those on the autism spectrum is phenomenal as this mode of therapy is unique and case specific. It streamlines the behavioral pattern through creative and expressive outlets while mitigates the symptoms with a due course of time. Along with emotional growth, it also supports the proper communication and sensory integration, leading to a fruitful social interaction.
Stopping by the Best Clinic to Execute the Art Therapy
Are looking forward to implementing the art therapy on your child with autism? Aren’t you aware of the best stop that will offer you the most reliable medium to complete the therapy? You must stop by the Consultants for Children, which is the pioneer in assisting the children to get over the symptoms of ASD. They design sessions with the parents as well to report the progress and areas of concerns. Also, they house several behavioral analysts who are BCBA certified and ensure you receive the best treatment in a proven method. If you are BCBA certified and want to steer your career as a behavior analyst, you may approach CFC Inc. They will allow you to explore the spectrum, leading to a remarkable result in a short time.
Autism is considered to be a spectrum disorder implying that individuals with autism may have an extensive range of severe, moderate or mild symptoms. However, does every person with an autism spectrum analysis have a similar disorder, regardless of his/her symptoms?
How autism analysis has changed recently
The autism spectrum is represented by 5 spectrum diagnoses that include PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified), Asperger Syndrome, Childhood Disintegrative Syndrome, Autistic Disorder, and Rett Syndrome.
But this analysis is confusing. Not just were they tricky to define, but various practitioners chose various analysis for similar patients. To describe their analysis, practitioners used terms like high functioning autism, mild autism, and severe autism. Nevertheless, these terms are not true analysis also; they are only descriptions. And when they are meant to help teachers and parents better understand the status of a child on the autism spectrum, every practitioner had their own concept of what severe or mild might appear like.
How people consider autism these days
Everybody with an autism analysis, regardless of his/her symptoms, is currently sectioned under a single analysis. 3 autism levels, alongside nonverbal descriptors, are meant to create analysis clearer and easier.
However, it doesn’t mean people have stopped using the informal or older terms, a few of which are a little clearer that ASD Level II. Even, practitioners and doctors use terms like Asperger Syndrome when using the new autism spectrum code to bill.
What are the different types of Autism?
The autism spectrum defines a set of developmental disorders and delays which impact communication and social skills and, to a lesser or greater degree, language and motor skills. This is an extensive analysis which can incorporate people with high mental retardation and IQs. People with autism can be silent or extrovert, cold or affectionate, disorganized or methodical.
Previously, official analysis within the autism spectrum incorporated pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified, autistic disorder, Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, Asperger Syndrome, and Rett Syndrome. Presently, there is only one ASD with 3 severity levels–but many organizations, parents, clinicians, and therapists continue to use terms like Asperger Syndrome and PDD-NOS.
- Pervasive Developmental Disorders – It’s a formal term, which between 1994 and 2013 meant precisely the similar thing an autism disorder meant. In case a kid was analyzed before 2013 you may have known this term from a doctor or an evaluator, but it is no more used these days.
- Asperger Syndrome – It defines people at the highest-functioning autism spectrum end. In 2013, this term and the analysis were removed from the diagnostic manual. However, virtually everybody in the autism community still uses this term due to its utility in defining a particular group of people.
Individuals with Asperger Syndrome usually grow spoken-language similarly as basically growing kids but have a difficult time with socio-communication. These issues which become more definite as they get social and older expectations increase. Since people with this disorder are sometimes very intelligent but bizarre, this disorder is often known as little professor syndrome or geek syndrome.
- Mild Autism – This term is not an official analysis. This is just a more clarified term than autism or Asperger syndrome. When people use this term, they refer to people whose symptoms fit an autism spectrum analysis, but who has a few behavioral problems and solid verbal skills. Nevertheless, those people may have considerable issues with social communication skills. Moreover, they may have issues coping with very much sensory input.
- High Functioning Autism – This commonly used term was previously used to reduce autism from Asperger syndrome. Practitioners made the official difference before 2013 when people with HFA had speech delays whereas people with Asperger syndrome have normal speech growth. Nowadays, there is no Asperger syndrome, creating the difference debatable.
- PDD-NOS – This term defined people who didn’t completely meet the criteria for other particular analysis but are however autistic. Since there is no simple way of describing the symptoms of PDD-NOS, which may range from very severe to very mild, the analysis category no more exists, although a new analysis, social communication disorder, may become the same comprehensive category.
- Severe Autism – This is not considered to be an official analysis; rather, it’s an explanatory term alongside classic autism, low functioning autism, and deep autism. Individuals with severe autism are sometimes intellectually disabled and nonverbal and may have behavioral issues as well.
- Rett Syndrome – This genetic disorder basically impacts just girls. This is just one of the previous autism spectrum disorders which can be medically analyzed; as of May 2013, it is no more incorporated in the Autism Spectrum. Girls with this syndrome grow severe symptoms with the inclusion of the hallmark social communication issues of autism. Moreover, Rett Syndrome can deeply impair the capacity of girls for using their hands efficiently.
- Broad Autism Phenotype – This autism disorder incorporates those individuals with the purest touch of autism. Often, this is defined as having shadow symptoms. These sub-clinical symptoms can incorporate anxiety, social awkwardness, an unusual degree of discomfort around bright lights, a choice for routine and sameness, sensory assaults, and loud noise, which are detectable but which do not considerably impair regular performance, are common among family relatives of individuals with full-blown autism. Is this actual autism or simply a type of personality? As with different problems associated with autism, it relies on whom you ask. In every way, it is sometimes useful to people with these symptoms to look for help with growing social communication expertise and dealing with sensory issues.
Autism terms are not always useful
When some terms associated with autism are explanatory, they are always not extremely helpful. This is because each and every person on the autism spectrum is special and unique. Even in case you think you know what a term implies, it is always essential to learn more regarding the challenges and strengths of a specific person.
The Consultants for Children is an organization that deals with children with autism. They have a team of RBTs who handle kids with autism a better way. To know more, you can get in touch with them.