Autism is not a hardwired breakage that is irreparable. On the contrary, if proper attention, care, love, and strategy are implemented in treating your child from the initial stage of the diagnosis, effective results can be witnessed. It is important to remember that the difficulties your child encounter due to the syndrome is not implanted in the chromosomes which will last till the time he/she survives. Hence, the key to enjoying a healthy and trouble-free life is to understand the unique behavioral changes in your child and the challenges faced. Have you ever scrutinized the behavioral patterns of your kid? Through this article what is the behavioral problem in kids with autism, we will check the common behavioral issues and how are those related to your child. We will also understand the basic ways to get over those and calm the senses in an efficient manner.
What is the Behavioral Problem in Kids with Autism?
Autism is a syndrome and not a disease with a few symptoms that are compulsory for every patient. In contrast, the symptoms are different for diversified kids who have distinct potential and characteristics. Hence, it is not possible to tick on the list of the mandatory symptoms. In order to understand the behavior of your kids with autism in an integrated manner, let’s divide the behavior pattern into four groups, which are core autism symptoms, associated neurological concerns, associated systemic problems, and related disorders. When the symptoms are segregated in the aforementioned groups it becomes easier to understand. The symptoms are as follows:
Core autism symptoms
- Social deficits- Have you ever noticed sudden aggression or excitement in your kid because of no particular reason? Autism triggers the extreme emotional outbursts while developing a sense of separation from the society. Though the kids are born social, you may find your kid is staying away from the social gatherings while unable to establish a successful interaction with the people.
- Repetitive behavior- Your child may focus on concurrent behavior. Some of the repetitive gestures include hand flapping, twirling, jumping, rocking, and creating repetitive sounds or voices.
- Language impairment- While normal kids learn to babble and whine from early stages of life, your child may find it difficult to do. You will notice he/she is not interested to speak or express the feelings of joy or sorrow and usually remain void of any expression. When they learn to speak, the speech includes an unusual pattern of communication.
Associated neurological concerns
- Sleep deficits- Due to the tremendous activities of the kids, they tend to fall into deep sleep. However, your kid may face an immense challenge to fall asleep at night. This symptom may carry when he/she grow up as well.
- Mood fluctuation- There are several challenges in the path of an autistic child and mood swing is one of the primary concerns. You may notice him/her get angry without any reason. Hence, it is important to notice the pattern of behavior and act accordingly.
- Anxiety- The accurate emotion of your kids with autism is difficult to analyze, which may make him/her anxious. The hyperactivity and failure to express the emotions also promote anxiety.
- Attention- Your child will tend to focus on a single object rather than emphasizing on the entire item. He/she will never seek for attention and remain aloof from others.
- Seizure- The children who are affected by the intellectual disorder are usually affected by frequent seizures. There are seizures in which your child may faint or express unnatural behavior. However, there are other types of seizures as well where your child may remain absent for some time. The latter is difficult to recognize and only the professional doctors will be able to get over the same in an efficient manner.
Associated systemic problems
- GI disorder- Gastrointestinal disorder is found in 85% of the autistic children who encounter inflammatory bowel disease, chronic constipation, and diarrhea. This also triggers the repetitive behavior in your child like rocking, head banging, and other gestures in order to self-soothe. This also leads to emotional outbursts that may cause self-injury.
- Immune Dysfunction- You may have noticed that your child falls sick very frequently due to the weakened immune system. The cellular and systematic level of the immune system alters significantly when your child is affected by autism.
- Pica- The tendency to eat everything that comes in sight of your kids with autism apart from food is known as pica. Though it is a behavior of the children when they are infants, you may notice this in your child even after the age of 5.
- Sensory processing errors– The reflex of the usual sensory organs are highly different in your child. He/she finds it difficult to distinguish the taste of the food, the bright light may irritate him/her, and the rapid movement of any object is unrecognizable. In order to express the confusion, he/she may have anger pangs, leading to self-hurting and anger outbursts.
- ADHD- In other words, it’s Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder that is very common in the autistic children. This disorder doesn’t allow your child to sit still and master self-control. Due to this, the frequent emotional outbursts and anger pangs occur. This also makes your kid hyperactive, impulsive, and inattentive.
- OCD- It’s also known as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in which your child may have obsessions regarding unusual materials and will also have repetitive thoughts. This promotes repetitive behavior and interrupts in the daily chores and social interactions.
Autism is not a permanent disease and not fatal. It is a syndrome that has numerous behavioral concerns. Implementing certain corrective measures can produce splendid outcomes in eradicating the symptoms for the life. Consultants for Children Inc. offer the most favorable platform for you to treat your child, as they have experienced professionals who guide your child to reach his/her maximum potential. If you are BCBA certified and seeking to excel in the career as a behavior analyst, they will provide the maximum exposure to you while elevating your personal skills. The real-life experiences will also teach you to get over the diversified kinds of challenges while interacting with an autistic child.