Do you know somebody who is an autism sufferer? Well, this disorder is more about the symptoms and less about the cause. Autistic kids struggle a lot with managing their bodies and their instant ambiance. Luckily, some effective yoga poses for autism can help the kids. Want to know more about autism and yoga? Read on.
What is autism?
Autism is a kind of spectrum of developmental disorders which first appear in kids below 3 years old. When this disorder develops, kids show difficult neurological abnormalities. They find it really hard to focus, interact and communicate socially.
Autistic kids showcase stereotypical, repetitive behavioral patterns. They don’t understand the tone of voice, facial expressions, are self-abusive and possibly don’t even respond to their own names. Language skills are grown slowly or often they do not grow at all, which isolate the kids from others. A change from routine will cause a severe tantrum fiercely resist that change. Their world will be challenging on their own. However, inside the world of an autistic kid, these challenges are more than any understanding.
This is why autistic kids should feel understood and connected. Their exclusive nature makes them different from other. For making them connected with our ambiance, yoga will be the most peaceful, holistic solution. It has already helped numerous kids cope with their symptoms, helping them for being a part of the community.
Effective yoga poses for autism
Through its implementation of relaxing postures, deep breathing and soothing music, yoga has a constantly positive impact on autistic kids. A yoga teacher makes the bond first and then utilizes stories for describing every pose, probably with dance incorporated. A person should connect to their level for entering their world. When the kid starts to trust a teacher, he/she starts to enjoy learning yoga also.
Continuous yoga practices strengthen the kid’s trust. It combines with their requirement for a routine. In turn, daily yoga grows their social skills, motor skills, self-awareness, and confidence levels. The relaxed breathing of yoga paired with controlled movements then grows their emotions, allowing better control over the nervous responses. A yoga session’s soothing ambiance removes all annoying stimuli like strong smells, bright lights, loud noises, etc. Hence, it helps their sensitive nervous system, causing some outbursts.
Let’s check out few effective yoga poses for autism:
Warrior Pose: This pose increases balance and strengthens the focus and the core. It stretches different muscles in the legs, shoulders, and chest, reducing every pain. It enhances self-esteem also.
• Standing on the floor with placing feet wide apart.
• Now turning in the right direction and twisting the right feet outwards.
• Bending at the knees. The left foot also turns inwards.
• Raising your arms and holding them directly across at your shoulder length.
• Breathing for 2 minutes while keeping the back erect.
Tree Pose: This pose enhances balance and grows focus. Also, it strengthens thighs, calves, and ankles. • Straight standing in the mountain poses.
• Wide away the arms from the body on both sides.
• Bending the right knee and placing the right feet on the left thigh.
• Turning the face upwards for looking towards the sky.
• Holding this position for some breaths.
Cat-Cow Pose: This pose delicately massages the spine and internal organs. Also, it stretches your neck.
• Kneeling on the floor on your knees and hands.
• Keeping the knees underneath the hips and hands right underneath the shoulders.
• Let the belly fall towards the floor just like a cow, while inhaling.
• Arch your back towards the ceiling just like a cat, on exhaling.
• Repeat the same process.
Ragdoll pose: This is an efficient yoga pose for autistic kids. It soothes the mind and reduces stress.
• Standing with the legs placed together.
• Raising the arms and bending at your waist gradually.
• Letting the arms fall to the floor when the knees are kept for relaxing.
• Let your arms sink more when you breathe intensely.
• Rise back in a few moments.
Downward Dog Pose: This pose needs leg and arm strength which can be firstly hard. With your guidance and help, it can be advantageous. It not just grows strength but also eases shoulder and neck tension, while stretching the hamstrings. Ask your kid how he/she feels viewing the world upside down, as the head is hanging. Making a visualization of the dog stretching can help the kid perform this pose easily.
• Tuck your toes from cat cow pose so they are pressing firmly into the ground. Now press your hands into the mat and live the hips into the air.
• Spread widely the hands while pressing into the mat firmly.
• Now reach the heels to the mat. It’s ok if the heels don’t press into the mat. It will come in time when flexibility is increased.
• Maintain a straight line from the shoulders to the hips.
• Hold for three to five breaths.
• Support the kid’s torso until the strength is obtained if this is not comfortable.
Lion’s Breath pose: This pose relieves tension. It represents the feeling of reducing negative thoughts. A kid will release unwanted emotions with the lion’s roar.
• Kneeling down on the ground while crossing the ankles behind you.
• Placing the hands on your knees and pressing the palms against your thighs.
• Spreading the fingers and imitating a lion’s sharp claws.
• Inhaling intensely, opening the mouth widely and bringing your tongue out for touching the chin.
• Make a ‘ha’ sound like a roar on exhaling.
• Keep your eyes open as wide as possible.
• Roar almost two or three times for a great effect.
Thereby, these are some effective yoga poses for autism which the kids will surely enjoy learning. There are more as well. Hope you will find these poses useful for your kid. Have you already tried these poses for your autistic kid? Feel free to share your experience in the comment section below.